top of page

Studying in Canada as a minor

Can a student under the age of 18 (minor) accompany parents to Canada on student visa?

Your parents must nominate a caretaker in Canada who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident to look after you if they do not hold a valid Canadian work or study permit.

Minor children must usually apply for a study visa from outside of Canada if they wish to study in Canada. A minor kid, on the other hand, can attend school without a student visa if;

  • one parent is a Canadian PR holder or a citizen; or

  • one parent holds a study or work permit in Canada; or

  • neither parent is physically present in Canada.

A minor child of a parent who is not permitted to work or study in Canada is unable to study in Canada without a study permit. The parents are permitted to travel as a visitor on a visitor visa. These minor children must apply for a study visa from their country of residence.

Taking care of a minor in Canada

The parents or legal guardians must demonstrate that the minor child will get the necessary care and assistance throughout their stay in Canada. Minor children under the age of 17 are required to either;

  • They must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian or

  • Have a caretaker in Canada

A custodian is a mature adult who is either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident and will look for and support the minor kid. A caretaker is not required for kids 17 and older, although an officer may seek one if deemed necessary.

Minor children do not require a study permit for programs lasting six months or less.

For further information on studying in Canada as minor, get in touch with one of our consultants.

bottom of page