top of page

New Zealand Student Visa

If you intend to study in New Zealand for longer than three months, you must get a student visa. We provide a variety of visas that allow you to attend school, take a course, or receive other training. Below are the New Zealand student visa options available to Sri Lankan students.

Student visa – study in New Zealand for more than 3 months

If you wish to study full-time in New Zealand for more than three months, you will require a Student Visa.

  • A student visa is provided for the duration of the study for which you have paid.

  • Depending on the terms of your visa, you may be authorized to work up to 20 hours per week during the semester and full-time during the study vacations.

Visitor visa – study in New Zealand for up to 3 months

A tourist visa may be the best option of visa for you if you intend to do a short course of study in New Zealand. A tourist visa permits you to study one or more courses for up to three months.

Pathway visa – study up to 3 pre-approved programmes

The pathway student visa permits you to study up to three successive study programs or courses for a total of five years. For instance, you may start with an English language course, then go on to foundation studies, and finally a degree program.


Visas to bring your family to New Zealand

There are several visa alternatives that may allow your family to accompany you to New Zealand while you study.

Post-study work visas

If you wish to stay in New Zealand after finishing your qualification to get relevant work experience, you may be eligible to apply for a post-study work visa.


A post-study work visa will allow you to work in New Zealand for up to three years after graduation, depending on your course and region of study.


Is there an age limit?

There are no age restrictions for obtaining a student visa to New Zealand.

How long does it take to process the student visa?

Immigration New Zealand advises that you allow 20 working days for processing of online student visa applications and five to six weeks for applications lodged as hard copy. However, during peak seasons, processing might take up to three months.

Do I need to submit a police clearance report?

If you want to stay in New Zealand for more than 24 months, you must obtain police clearances from each nation in which you have citizenship. You will also be required to show police clearances for any nation in which you have resided for five years or more since the age of 17.

Do I need to take a medical examination?

During the evaluation, you must produce a medical or chest x-ray certificate; a visa officer will contact you directly to seek this.

Can I take my spouse with me?

It is not feasible to add your partner as a dependent to your student visa. If they want to work or study in New Zealand, they will need to apply for their own visa. They can apply for a Partner of a Student Work Visa if you (the student) are one of the following:

  1. Pursuing a Level 7 or 8 qualification from the Immigration New Zealand Long Term Skill Shortage List, or

  2. Pursuing a Level 9 or 10 certification (Masters or PhD)

If your program of study does not fit into any of these classifications, your spouse will have to submit for a visa to come to New Zealand on their own, such as the Essential Skills Visa or the Skilled Migrant Category.

Other related topics :

Student Visa to Australia     Student Visa to Canada     Student Visa to UK     Student Visa to USA

bottom of page